Making lifestyle changes can help ease the discomfort of menopausal symptoms and keep you feeling good every day. Try incorporating some of these changes into your life to help manage your menopausal symptoms.
Tips to Help Manage Menopausal Symptoms
- Keep core body temperature as cool as possible. Dress in layers, use a fan, sleep in a cool room, and stay hydrated when a hot flash occurs
- Refrain from smoking. Smoking may trigger hot flashes and weaken bones. It can also irritate your bladder, which may become more sensitive during menopause
- Exercise regularly. Regular physical activity helps keep your weight down, improves your sleep, strengthens your bones, and elevates your mood
- Practice relaxation techniques. Enhance relaxation with meditation, yoga, massage or lukewarm bath
- Avoid perceived personal hot flash triggers. Examples of triggers include hot drinks, caffeine, spicy foods, alcohol, and extreme emotional reactions
- Use an over-the-counter vaginal lubricant. These can be purchased without a prescription and can be used prior to sex for temporary relief of vaginal dryness. Over-the-counter lubricants work for some women, but don’t manage the long-term or more severe symptoms of vaginal changes due to menopause
- Avoid products that irritate your vagina. Strong soaps and fragrances may cause irritation
For your convenience, we’ve highlighted a few menopause-related websites you may find helpful.